Monday, September 22, 2008

Tipping



When we moved in we were receiving the weekend paper. We figured the previous owner forgot to change it over and eventually she would figure it out. Well, it came for a good while and at this point I thought it would be embarrassing to do anything. Then what looked like a bill came in the mail addressed to the previous owner so I sent it back to let them know she had moved. Soon after we stopped receiving any newspapers.



We signed up to receive the Washington Post just a few weeks ago. Sunday morning the husband brought in the newspaper as he does most weekends. He takes the newspaper out of the plastic wrap. This week an envelope fell out. Curiously we looked at it and it was addressed to the newspaper person. The husband looks at me and says I guess she wants a tip.



I really didn't want to get started on this topic but I have to get it off my mind. Keep in mind that we moved almost a year ago and we have had a lot of work done on our house. We have had movers on both sides of the move, the inside of the house painted, landscaping, furniture delivered, the outside painted, an irrigation system put in and other things I am probably forgetting. Then there are the normal places we frequent that requires tipping. The servers in restaurants, hairdressers/barbers, the coat check in areas at museums and such and even the people who show you to your seat at a baseball game. My hair shop have people who wash your hair who require a tip. When did this happen? Every shop I went to in the past the beautician who cut your hair also washed it. When I went to pay for the class I signed the baby up for at My Gym...had a tip line also (which by the way I left blank). I don't even want to think about how much I have actually paid out in tips in the last year.



It is almost expected that tips be paid. I had sand delivered for the sand box we purchased (more on that later). The guy had me sign a delivery paper and then made casual conversation with me (maybe waiting for his tip). I didn't have a tip for him. Isn't he doing his job and I paid enough for the sand. Did you know you should tip if you receive a flower delivery?



If you Google "how much to tip" you will get many results back. I looked at The Original Tipping Page and it gives you a list on how much to tip. According to this site I am probably under tipping in certain respects. Another site I looked at was a Gentleman's guide . A bit sexist but I looked at it anyways. This site provides several reason on why to tip.



We are done with the work that needs to be done to our house. I can not bear to pay another tip out in the near future. Is it just me?

No comments: