Monday, October 20, 2008

Saturday Shenanigans and the big 40!

My neighbor's husband planned a surprise 40th birthday drunkfest party on Saturday evening at a very nice restaurant. My neighbor, I will call her Gladys, had absolutely no idea about this party. She was very surprised, it was so much fun keeping the secret for the last month or so.

As a side note, I was one of the only that was not drunk. I had two glasses of wine before dinner and stopped drinking. My husband drank to keep up with everyone (and he knew I was designated driver). Some people were drunk before the guest of honor arrived and then kept drinking.


Two of Gladys' friends came in town for the event. Oddly enough the 2 friends lived in the same house. The house in question has had 4 families live in it within the last 7 years. The first family was friend A, the third family was friend B and now the lady I wrote about in this post lives there. Both friends have VERY strong personalities. It was a riot watching both friends try to maintain all of the attention for the evening. Friend A and B don't really like each other much, they have probably only met one other time. As friend B was roasting Gladys friend A was making a ruckus and not really listening. It went on all evening.


One of the gifts given to Gladys was a bottle of Tuaca. This is the worst smelling liquor ever! I have never tried Tuaca and I probably never will. I actually had never even heard of Tuaca until I moved here. Well, once the bottle was brought out shots started. Gladys had several shots and was passing them out to all of her unsuspecting friends. The bottle was finished by midnight. There were few people spared from the shot glass.

The night ended at midnight for us, just like in the Cinderella story. Most of the others went on to a piano bar where the birthday girl was given the title as the worst tambourine player ever. It was a great night with a lot of good friends.

This party got me thinking about my birthday early next year in which I will turn forty. Yeah that is right the big 4.0. In a lot of ways, it is hard for me to believe I will be forty. But what does turning 40 really mean. If you google "turning 40" you will get a gazillion of links to many different types of sites. I even found a website all about turning forty. Why is turning 40 such a big deal? It is one year after you turn 39 and one year before you turn 41. Is it supposed to be a turning point in your life? Will something mysteriously happen on the big day?

I am not sure about what turning 40 means, but I do know some things about my life:

1) I don't feel like I am 40. As a youngster, 40 seemed so darn old to me.

2) I am one of the youngest in my group of friends around here...yes it only may be by a year but I am still younger.

3) I always thought my children would be older when I turned 40, but I have twin 6.5 year olds and a 1.5 year old.

4) I am in better shape now than I ever have been.

5) I am very happy with the way my life has turned out.

6) After many years of worshiping the sun, I have started to take care of my skin. I finally figured out in my late 20's that I should be using sunscreen.

7) I definitely have more thoughts of getting a little help with the facial lines...ok wrinkles.

8) I am who I am....take it or leave it.

Well, not sure exactly what 40 will bring....but I am ready bring it on!

No comments: