Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Hoe Down

One down and three events left. I think I mentioned that I on the Special Events Committee for the PTA this year. What was I thinking? The whole decorating thing is not my thing. Luckily, my co-chair, who also happens to be my neighbor, is very crafty and has great decorating ideas.

We spent a lot of time prepping for this event. We popped popcorn and bagged it, I made 5 gallons of lemonade and had 5 gallons of water, we dipped pretzels in chocolate and my neighbor made all of the table centerpieces (which were so nice). I wish I would have gotten some pictures of some of the various pieces around the school.

This event was the finale to a 2 week program the school had with an Artist up here. His name is Slim Harrison. The kids could made an instrument and bring in to play along with Slim and then they would do some dancing. This really wasn't our event to plan but we kind of got stuck with it because the other more appropriate committee didn't step up. So be it and we did what we had to.

EE and Jay did not want to attend the event at all. EE kept saying he was NOT going to dance and we couldn't make him. I did have the husband bring them up and they did not have to activity participate but they did watch.

We had an overwhelming response to the event. More than I ever anticipated. We got maybe 10 RSVPs yesterday and the school office phone rang off the hook with people asking if they could still come to the event. There were so many people there last night. We ended up running out of food and drink. There were also lots of little kids that kept coming up for another pretzel or muffin. We finally had to close the cafeteria doors and call it a night.

When the room cleared out I was dumb founded on how poorly the kids behaved and didn't pick up after themselves (or the parent didn't direct them to clean up). Popcorn was all over the floor and trash left on the tables. Anyone hear of a trashcan?

I am glad to have this one over with. Next up is basket bingo in the winter. We have decided to sit down next week to start planning for this one with a time line and volunteers in place. This one should be a lot of fun to plan.

No comments: