Sunday, October 5, 2008

Nosey Neighbors

The garage sale was a success and fun at the same time. We spent Friday afternoon and into the evening getting everything tagged and in my garage. I can't imagine what our neighbors were thinking when we put our hodge podge dinner out on one of the tables and ate dinner in our front yard.

We decided Friday night to get up at 6 am on Saturday (the yard sale did not officially start until 8 am) to get everything organized out in the driveway. That is really early. I do have to say it did take us a while to get it all out of the garage. There was a steady stream of traffic. I made $70 which I thought was really good for what I sold. My neighbor had a lot of "treasures" and she made over $250.

Six am is early to be up and outside and sometimes you see things that you wished you hadn't. We have neighbors 2 houses down. It is a couple. She has 2 children (high schoolers) from a previous marriage and then 1 son with her current husband. I noticed that the couple along with her youngest went out of town on Friday (saw her loading up the car.) About 7:30 am we see a car exit the garage (the boyfriend of the girl). Then she gets in her car and leaves. All three of us ladies looked at each other thinking "did we just see that". We busted them so bad and she knew she got busted as she never looked up. The other two ladies know the Mom....I don't. So now they must decide whether to tell the Mom or not. They both agree that they would want to know if it was their daughters (they each have 2 girls). I think one of them will break the news.

The best sale I made all day was ALL of the curtains and valances that were in my house when we moved in for a mere $10. When we moved in we took them all down. I am more of a blinds person and can do without the fancy window treatments. One lady came by and expressed interest in them and said she would be back. Then I thought this guy was going to buy a set (he gave us the line....I have to go get money). The worst part about that was we actually believed him and gave up a sale in the mean time. I had started to fold up the window treatments and put them in a box headed for the donation center when I saw the truck come back. There were two ladies and they took them ALL. I was so happy that I was able hand them off to someone else who likes them as much as the previous owner of our house.

I have to report another injury for this family. This time it happened to me. I had the back door open and went into the garage hung onto the door frame to get a soda. The cross wind in the house slammed the door shut on my middle finger and now I have what you call subungual hematoma or what most of us call bleeding under the fingernail. It was so painful. It covers almost all of my fingernail bed and is incredibly sensitive.

*************************************************************************************

Right after the injury, it was time to get to work on getting the house ready for our guest/cookout. We ended up having 20 kids and 18 adults. A family called Friday to let us know that they had changed their minds and wanted to come. Another family showed up without letting us know they were coming. We had a lot of people here. Getting the fire in the pit going was a bit of a problem due to wet wood, but after persistence from the husband he was able to get it going. It was fun and I am glad we did it. Towards the end of the night (after I put the baby down), I was actually able to sit down and talk to people. I think we will wait until the summer to do something big like this again.

No comments: