Monday, July 14, 2008

The Grocery Store Wars

I really like Maryland for the most part. It has most of what we need close by, the people are nice and there is lots to do around the area. However, it did not take me long to realize the grocery stores around here absolutely suck. We have several stores close by our house and I have been to them all. I thought for sure I would be able to find what I needed at least at one of them. How wrong was I. So every trip to the store brought out so much disgust in me. I can't tell you how thrilled I was to find out a Harris Teeter (HT) was opening in the area in May 2008.

I was so excited about the opening that I had the hubs take me their opening night. I can't tell you how overwhelmed I felt being able to find all of my special grocery items. The HT is about a 15 to 20 minute drive from my home, but it is only about 5 minutes from my gym. I try to coordinate the two. My big trips are done at HT but I do have to run into some of the local stores in a pinch.

Today was one of those days where I just need to get us by until tomorrow. Let me backtrack for a moment. One day I stopped into a grocery store and needed about 8 items. I put them all in one of those carry baskets. I took the basket and put it on the belt for check out. I stood there getting my bonus card out and my credit card so that I could slide it through. The cashier is just standing there and finally asks me to unload my basket. Are you kidding me? Today I thought I am going to do it again. I know I am such a rebel. So I put the basket on the belt. I only have 5 items, but I have a loaf of bread and bagels. The cashier takes the basket and dumps my items out on the belt. You can bet anytime I have to take a trip it will involve me leaving my items in the basket. This will be a new game for me.

Here are some reason why I think HT is so much better than all of the stores around here.

- The selection of items is just incredible.

- Their meats are unbeatable, especially their roast beef and burgers.
- If an item is spoiled, the store will replace it and refund your money. Get that, free item.

- Check out involves me wheeling my cart to the cashier and they get everything out. No more me trying to unload onto the belt while Baby T empties the shelved of magazines.

- They offer double coupons and once a quarter they do a triple coupon weekend.

- About 3 to 4 times a year they have a special promotion. If you shop let's say 12 of 14 weeks and spend over $40 you will get the prize at the end. I have gotten luggage, roasting pan, chairs to mention a few.

- I am always greeted with "did you find everything you were looking for" and they mean it.

Good luck to all of you other grocery stores around here I can only imagine that HT will expand to other areas and you will have to shut your doors.

No comments: