Thursday, January 15, 2009

Mish mash

Really?
I go to the gym regularly from week to week (unless the baby is sick or I have some other things that must be done). The child watch center is fantastic. They have an infant room, a toddler room, a basketball court, a climbing structure and computers (EE and Jay love to play with these). I have them keep the baby in the toddler room. It is huge area with many toys and a TV. I am not ready for him to have access to the entire place yet. I got called from a workout one day because he had soiled his diaper. They do not change diapers here, which is ok by me. I was close to being done so no big deal, I went changed him and we left. At the same time another Mom got called because here daughter wet through her diaper. Her daughter had to be over 2 years old. The Mom changed the girl's diaper and took off her pants because they were wet. She then left here daughter in her diaper. I can't imagine this is allowed plus it was a very cold day. The employees were not sure what to do and we ended up leaving before we saw it unravel. I love getting my workouts in as much as anyone, but really.


Homework- ambiguous directions
The boys have homework Monday - Thursday and are required to read so many minutes a month. I don't really know how many minutes they are supposed to read because they have not told us. They provide a calendar to track the reading minutes per day but do not include a goal in the line provided. Language arts homework is started on Monday and completed on Thursday with a spelling test at home. In math, they are given a worksheet most days and other days are asked to play math games on the PC.

Here is a worksheet that Jay brought home the other day. They are working on measurements.
The instructions state to "Use your ruler to measure the length".


So I had him measure the line on the page and write the correct length. We get the page back from the teacher who wrote this note, "use your body!" :) Maybe it has just been too long since I have had to complete homework but would providing a bit more instruction on homework hurt?

Being PC
EE and Jay have their 7th birthday coming up. We have decided to let them have a party, a laser tag party. I know I said this last year, but this will be their last big party. They are too expensive and I think we need to start thinking about different ways to celebrate. Anyway, we have made a list of people they would like to invite. There is someone in the neighborhood that they did not include on the list. They don't play with this child a lot but they do see him occasionally. We are inviting several other of his friends in the neighborhood. I think if the Mom found out she would be a little upset. So I have added him to the list.

No comments: