Thursday, March 19, 2009

The bus stop ***Updated***

My kids like to get to the bus stop early to be able to be one of the first ones on the bus. Jay has major issues with always wanting to be first at everything, but that is a story for another day. Our bus stop is 2 house up from us on a corner. Am I glad I don't live in that house. The kids (not mine except that one time that their Dad was with them) like to run around these people's yard.

There are several kids that are up there alone, meaning no parent present. And there are also kid's who have a parent present and the parent is clueless. There is this one family that has 3 kids on the bus, I would guess one is in 5th grade, maybe 3rd and then a kindergartner. A few days ago as I was walking up to the bus stop two of the kids in this family were physically fighting. They continued to go at it and when I got up there I asked them to stop fighting and made a comment about them being siblings and that they should be much nicer to each other. This morning as I was heading up to the corner there were kids fighting on this family's grass. I yelled, only because I was still walking (Tee slows me down) for them to stop. The clueless mom who was standing up there walked over. I asked her if she took care of it and she said what...they need to run around, they have to sit in school all day. Oh my gosh....really. I said what they need to hit each other and she said oh no just run around. I am thinking maybe they should run around before they get to the bus stop.

I understand that fact that both parents can/need/want to have a job. But leaving your child unattended at the bus stop seems wrong to me. Most of the kids at our stop are in 3rd grade and under. What happens if your child misses the bus?

***Update******
Clueless Mom came up to me at the bus stop this afternoon. She started off by saying that she thought she would tell the kids that they could run around (all over someone else's property) but no hands. Then went on to say that she has spoken to many educators who say that it is best to have your kids run around before school to burn off some energy (I am sure they added a good idea to let them run around on a neighbors' yard). I told her that I would not tolerate the kids getting physical with each other and I would continue to tell them to stop when it happened. She then suggested I contact the parents of those kids. Honestly I know the parents for one of the kids and they are not present in this child's life at all.

Then the subject of kids running all over the grass and she responded with I think grass is just grass, basically who cares. I let my kids run all over my grass, but it is my grass they are trampling on a daily basis. I think it is disrespectful to let your children run all over someone property but that is my view. My kids stand on the sidewalk and wait for the bus to come and I am there watching them the entire time.

Clueless Mom and I will never see eye to eye as we parent differently. And the couple of time I have seen her son he has been the biggest brat ever. Not so surprising to me. I have heard she tries very hard to be friends with her kids vs. parent them.

No comments: