Monday, August 3, 2009

Back to school shopping

We had a fairly low key weekend. We spent Saturday laying out by the pool. It was a cloudy day but our water was nice and warm thanks to the heater. I can't believe that I have had to heat my pool water at the end of July. This seems so wrong. It was a nice day and an early evening for the little ones.

I did have a situation arise that I did not handle well. I got a call from a boy down the street. He is the same age as my boys. He wanted to know if the boys could swim at his house. I heard him talking to his Mom and I am not positive she knew who he was calling. I did not know what to say so I told him we would have to see what was going on after lunch. After lunch came and I did not answer the phone and we were out by our pool.

I don't like it much when a child calls my child to set up play time. The parent needs to be involved and call me to discuss the specifics. This child typically comes down to play with my boys but neither parent ever comes down to talk to me. He will ask if he can play and then he will go home talk to his parents and then come back and say he can play til such and such time. How hard is it to walk a few houses down and have a conversation. There have been times when his older sister will walk him down to see if he can play here.

I am uneasy with the parental supervision in the family. I accept that everyone parents differently. I remember the time the boys were over there for maybe 1 hour to celebrate the boy's birthday. I walked down to get them and they were watching a Transformer Movie. This is NOT something I would let my children watch. On Saturday, he wanted them to swim at his house. Although I am very comfortable with how my children manage themselves in the water, I still feel they need supervision. The boy is a little on the wilder side and I think great care should be given at the pool.

Speaking of the pool. They had their pool put in this Spring. Well, not just a pool but the entire backyard has been transformed into an oasis. That is what I have heard anyway. I would really like to see it.

I will address this at some point with the Mom. Not sure how to say what I want to say but hopefully it will come out well.

Sunday brought rain into the area so we decided what better time to shop. We drove west to a really great Prime Outlet center. G*p was running their family and friends promotion (30% off) so I stocked up on school clothes for the boys. They got some very nice clothes and I feel like I saved a lot of money. The boys also got new shoes for the year. Their feet grow like crazy! The husband and I managed to buy a little something for ourselves as well. I love this outlet mall and so worth the hour drive and the whiny kids.

Speaking of whiny kids. The Tee man has really started to slip on his potty training. He has pooped in his underwear 2 times. I knew the regression would happen but I am ready for it to be over.

No comments: