Friday, August 28, 2009

The last days of summer

This is the last day of summer for the boys. Beginning Monday morning we will be back to the mad rush of getting dressed, fed and out the door. We had such a nice summer but I think that I am ready to get back to a routine. I think the boys are ready also.

Yesterday, for the first time this summer I took the boys to the pool at our gym. Luckily, a few of their friends were there. They all had such a good time. EE was non-stop going down the slides. I had to make him stop to eat lunch. Jay went down a few times and that was good enough for him. Tee loved playing in the zero entry area with the fountains. It was such a nice day and I still got to get a workout in. I am not sure why we had not done that all summer.

We got teacher notifications on Wednesday. Well, I got one postcard telling me the teacher EE had gotten. I ended up calling the school the next morning to find out who Jay got as a teacher. Like last year, his postcard got lost in the mail. The 2nd grade team at the school has a really good reputation. There are 7 2nd grade classes with 17-18 students. We feel lucky to have such small class sizes. There were a few teachers that I would have liked the boys to have gotten but I am sure we will be fine with who they have.

We just got back from the meet the teacher at school. Of course, it started raining as we were getting ready to go but it let up as we got to school. Our first stop was EE's class. I had to read the instructions written at the front of the room so I could figure out what to do with his supplies. She gave fairly simple instructions on how to put all of the supplies away. He should be ready to go Monday morning.

Our next stop was Jay's class. The teacher is a little older but seems very nice. My stress level started when I saw a neighbor who had been sitting in the class for 20 minutes following instructions on what to do with supplies. I had to label every pencil, crayon, marker, eraser etc. These were very specific instructions. I don't like to follow instructions much honestly. My neighbor was giving me a hard time saying that I had to follow instructions like the rest. But the rest didn't have a 2 year old who was trying to get into everything. It took me over 30 minutes to finish and I probably didn't do everything correctly. I have a hard time figuring out why each crayon had to be labeled. She did assign each child a number and we only had to put a number on the crayon but for the love of God....why. What made it worse was that the office came on the intercom asking the families to leave. Then we had to slip out through the office through a sea of people waiting to get in for the next go around.

I think it will be an interesting year.

No comments: