Friday, June 19, 2009

The neighborhood

When we were looking in Maryland for a house I wanted to stick with a neighborhood that had an HOA. In general, I think HOA are a good thing for the community. They help regulate any riff raf that would likely bring house values down. I don't always agree with the rules of this HOA but we do comply.

Every spring, the HOA has a walk-thru of houses to ensure that everyone is in compliance and to point out "opportunities for improvement". I was shocked when I received a letter a few days ago. They said we had a major violation because we did not get approval to have a freestanding basketball hoop. I have to say this really made me mad. I forwarded the approval email I received way back when along with my opinion. I said that more time and attention should be put into the letter before they are mailed out. I am in compliance and don't feel that I should spend my time having to forward them paperwork they should have in my file. I wrote a few other things in my letter to get my point across. I have yet to hear back from them.

*********************************************************************************
I wrote a while back about clueless Mom from the bus stop. Well, she spent the rest of the school year avoiding me and would not make eye contact with me. I thought it was really funny honestly. I am not going to like everyone I come in contact with but I try to be cordial. Must be the southernness in me. I ended up making her have contact with me because I was collecting money for the bus driver. For some reason yesterday she decided it was the day to talk to me. She complimented me on my highlights, which is somewhat funny because they are growing out. She then invited the boys to come over after school today for some water play and end of school celebration. Nice gesture but it won't happen. I have to say I would not let them go over there unless I was present. They have a dog who is not friendly, a trampoline and I have heard that the father owns a gun. On top of that I have heard the child has had 11 reflection forms (a form that goes in your record when you misbehave at school). You know I am just not willing to take the chance.

No comments: