Monday, June 1, 2009

Disappointment

I believe that children should not be protected from disappointments in life. It is a part of life and they should understand it now. I know lots of people who like to shelter their children and that is fine, everyone has a different opinion. I know several people who will withhold a special "secrets" in case it for some reason does not happen.

I tend to let my children know things and if it doesn't happen then there is not much we can do about it. My boys do not do everything that other kids do and they certainly don't have everything other kids have. They don't always like it but for the most part they are very adaptable.

On Friday night we let our kids take part in a movie night at a neighbor's house. They got home around 10pm which if you know me is WAY past their bedtime (8pm). My boys don't function well on little sleep and regardless of when they go to sleep they are typically up at 6am. Saturday was a busy day which included a baseball game and a pool/moon bounce party at the neighbor's house. We were at the party the majority of the day. At 7pm we rounded our kids to get them home and ready for bed. My neighbor thought we were going to have issues getting our kids to leave. Oh, how wrong was she they left went to bed at 7:30pm and woke up 7am. I will say they were tired. They were ok with the fact they had to leave while other kids stayed around to play.

But this is where I am really going with this story. We decided to let the boys try out for a baseball team. The team will play for 4 days around July 4th weekend. There will be some practicing that will lead up to the championship games. It would be nice for them to both make the team to keep up with their skills this summer. My fear is that one of the boys will make the team but the other will not. I know it is life and they will have to face this sooner or later but I really don't want to face it now. There are about 35 kids for 24 spots.

I am not exactly sure that the boys understood the tryout on Sunday. We tried to explain it to them but I think they were just happy that they didn't have to go to their last Lacrosse practice. We should know in the next day or so if one or both made the team. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

No comments: