Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Germs

I am not germiphobic. I do things people typically do to avoid germs, like not letting my children sit on public toilets and wiping down grocery carts before we use them etc. My kids wash their hands before they eat or if they have been playing outside. I always have Tee wash his hands when he leaves the child watch area at the gym. And I do carry hand sanitizer. I don't like for my kids to get sick but sometimes you just can't avoid it.

I know and have known people to be very cautious regarding germs. I had one friend who had the funniest stories on how she would not let her children touch anything and she always had her hand sanitizer ready to go. I have also known people who would not let her sick child slow her down. Medication would be given to cover any symptoms. I am sure there are people who fall in between these two right?

A few weekends ago my boys hung around the same group of kids from Friday through Sunday. Friday night they watched a movie at some one's house. The kids were on the floor sharing pillows. Saturday was a pool/moon bounce party. Sunday was short contact of let's hop in the moon bounce until they come take it away. I found out on Sunday that one of the girl's tested positive for strep. The Mom was very apologetic and I think taken back by my it is ok attitude. If they get it.....they get it, none of my boys got it by the way. A few days later I found out that 2 of the boys had lice in their hair. I get a frantic phone call from my neighbor about how we have to go purchase lice kits. I laughed at her and told her I did not need one. I did check my boys out of precaution and nothing came through on the comb. Jay has such short hair that I think I could see anything on his head. Luckily I have boys and their heads would be shaved if there was any indication of lice.

When one of my friends found out about the lice situation she got really upset. I could tell she was bothered by this news all evening. Neither one of these things are fun to deal with but I just don't feel that I have to spend my time worrying about things that may or may not happen. Life is way too short to worry about strep and lice. I am thankful for my laid back stay calm attitude.

No comments: