Sunday, February 28, 2010

Saying goodbye

When we moved in our neighbor (single dad with custody of 2 children) had a nanny to care for his children. She came in the morning to see them off to school and then back in the afternoon to meet the bus.

She was very quiet but eventually I started talking to her. I was new at the bus stop so I didn't know many people. I could tell she was not very comfortable hanging out with all of us. Once I determined that she had free time during the day, I asked her if she wanted to watch Tee during school hours. It would in no way interfere with her getting her family's kids off the bus in the afternoon.

She was unsure at first and decided to talk to the Dad next door. I don't know that he loved the idea but we went ahead with our plan.

At the end of the summer, she decided to leave the family. She was unsure about her husband's plans. He is in the military and was possibly being relocated to Florida. The relocation never happened and they were to remain here for the time being. So I started my planning.

I knew the only way I could get her to sit for me occasionally was to find her more families who needed the same type of service. I sent a notice out to the Multiples group I belong to and was able to get many people interested.

The plan worked out nicely and she was able to keep busy watching children and I was able to have her sit for me when I needed her. Definitely a win win situation.

During the last two years, she has meant a lot to me. I have always trusted her with my children and knew she would always take great care of them. We have had her and her husband over to spend Thanksgiving with us the last two year.

Recently, her husband has been given orders for a move to Hawaii (for 3 years). She will leave Maryland on Wednesday to spend a month or so at home before the big move.

She became close with many of the families she cared for. She wanted to have a party for all of us. This was held on Saturday night and we had it in our home.

We are going to miss her so much! She is the only person that I have had watch my children since we moved here (other than my niece). So sad to see her leave.


The sitter, her husband and the kids.


The sitter and I.

She made Tee a special birthday cake of his request. It was home made and delicious.

No comments: