Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Bracing for round 2

It is official; school is canceled for the remainder of the week. I knew that this would be the case. The second storm is rolling through as I type. The prediction is anywhere from 10 to 20 inches of snow (on top of what is still left from the first storm). It will snow from this evening until tomorrow evening. That sounds like a whole lot of snow to me. From what I understand, this has not happened since 1996 where they had a few storms come in over a few days. This will definitely be a season for the records.

The boys were supposed to have their Valentine’s celebration in class on Thursday. We completed their cards yesterday. Every year, they hand out just cards with no candy. Each year they come home with so much candy. We won’t eat all of the candy. In fact, right before Halloween we cleaned out their candy bag and trashed a bunch of old stuff (a lot from the prior Valentine’s day). We don’t eat much candy. They tend to forget about their bag and then it sits there until we clean it out. Not sure why I decided they would hand out candy this year but they are giving out Nerds. I have not heard when or if they will reschedule their party.

I had the boys work on some math pages yesterday. Need to keep their minds working. They are definitely playing too many video games. Today I asked them to write a paragraph about the snow storm. Jay got right on it after breakfast. He wrote the 8 sentences I asked him to about the fun we have had in the snow and the not so fun part of the storm (power outage). EE threw a fit about not knowing what to write. My husband and I helped him with some ideas on how to start. But the fit continued. The deal was no video games until the writing assignment was completed. About an hour or so later, he finally sits down to write. He writes 2 well written pages. He had some punctuation issues but they were minor. Tomorrow it may be answering questions about a book they have to read.

Yes, cabin fever has started to set in. I am ready for the snow to move on out.

No comments: