Monday, February 15, 2010

Recovering part 2

Maryland has not had a large storm like the two that came through in many years. Looking at the snow on the ground you would think we live in a place like Minnesota or upstate New York. Our city has done a good job recovering from the storm. There is only so much you can do in a day.

I have 2 weeks worth of recyclables and trash sitting in my garage. By Friday, I will have so much trash stacked up at the end of the driveway because it most certainly won’t fit in my can. Today was a holiday; however, the city is having normal recycle and trash collections. It would normally be pushed back a day. I am looking forward to wheeling my recycle can out and being rid of at least half the trash sitting in the garage.

We only received mail 2 times this week also. We were told that the mail person would not deliver your mail unless the path in front of the mail box was clear. The husband and I worked Saturday morning to clear a path because I really wanted my mail. Our mail person was so nice, I saw him get out of his truck at most of the houses. I was so happy to get my People magazine. I rely on my magazine to get me through my Tuesday gym workout on the stair stepper.

Yesterday, the school superintendent closed schools for tomorrow, Tuesday. They have driven around the city and determined conditions to be unsafe to allow children to walk to bus stops and in some cases to school. There are also schools that still have not been plowed. He urged us to help our neighbors by clearing the sidewalks near and on the path to the bus stops.

Tomorrow will mark 7 ½ days that the kids have been out of school. It seems a little unbelievable to me. I question whether Wednesday will be another day off. I can tell you that my kids will not get in a bus with the condition of our road unchanged. I will drive them if I have to.

I had conferences over the phone with the boys’ teachers last week. One of the teachers I spoke to said that they were finally getting back on track from winter break and now this unplanned break was going to be difficult on the children.

I have heard speculation regarding school being in session on certain days off, maybe one or two around Spring break and a few professional development days. If not, my kids may be in school until the first of July.

Keeping my fingers crossed for school to be in session on Wednesday!

No comments: