Thursday, February 25, 2010

I think we are going to finally do it

We have been attending a church here on and off for the last 2 years. I am not the type of person to have commitment issues but have had a hard time committing to the church.

I guess I have a hard time dealing with change some times. The church is a bit different from what we were used to at our old church. I could probably write a novel about the difference but at this point it is just best to move on and find our church family.

I have said it before but the main part of service that really bothers me is when it is time to greet your neighbors at the beginning of service. Honestly, I don’t want to shake everyone’s hands (and I am not that much of a germ-a-phoebe). People move all over the place to greet and I just stand as a statue hoping to not have to greet too many. Maybe I have issues!

A few Sundays ago, we found out that our pastor is leaving (he has only been the pastor for 31 years there). We like the Pastor but I think 31 years in one spot is way too long. A new pastor has been appointed. He seems like a young guy who has started several churches in the area. I think this will mean good things for the church.

They also announced a new member’s class that will be held in March. New members are brought in front of the congregation, introduced, prayed for and some other stuff is done. In my opinion, this is too lengthy process for me (one who does not like to be the center of attention). I would rather just continue to check off the box of regular attender than go through the process.

I decided to email the minister in charge of the new member’s class and explained my position. She called me and we spoke for a while. I think she thought I was a recluse and I felt like I had to explain that I was ok and we did have friends but I just don’t want to stand in front on display.

So if all goes as planned, we will finally become members of the church through a transfer of membership with no big to do in church.

No comments: