Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Teeth and School

No these are not related in any way.

After being in Md for 2 years one would think I would have found the perfect Doctors and Dentists. I went a dentist I was referred to, but the hygienist would torture my mouth. I can't tell you how many times she stuck her fingernail into my gum. I decided after the 2nd visit I was done with that. I didn't really like the dentist that much to stay there.

I tried a new dentist that my friend referred me to. I made an appointment which was about almost 2 months over my 6 month check up. I got to the appointment and the hygienist took an hour looking in my mouth and making notes. Ok, I know I have lots of issues and work in there but honestly move along. I was shocked when at the end she told me that she wouldn't be cleaning my teeth. I would have to come back for that. I was a bit upset because A) my teeth really needed to be cleaned and B) I paid a sitter to watch Tee so that I could be there. My husband had also made an appointment at the same place but couldn't keep it due to a meeting. Somehow I ended up getting it to work out with the sitter and I was able to take his place. Wow my teeth still hurt from the cleaning.

Today I spent 2 hours at the orthodontist with Jay. He has a cross bite (his upper teeth sit inside of his lower jaw) that needs to be corrected. He will have an expander put into his upper jaw plus will need braces on his four front teeth. This will straighten out his very crooked teeth and allow for his permanent teeth to have space to come in. This will be a year long process. Luckily, I will not have to do anything to the expander. This is not cheap!

************************************************************************************

Yesterday, I ended up attending the meeting put on by the board of education (BOE) regarding redistricting. There were groups of people there to argue the few transfers that will take place next year. The neighborhoods are so divided. I was not aware nor do I fully understand what will take place. It doesn't affect us so I am ok not knowing.

The planner at the BOE was respectful and open to hearing from the people. He explained that the trend of children along the east side of the county continue to increase which is causing schools to be over crowded. In addition, neighborhoods will continue to be built along the east making the problem worse. And this is when redistricting is considered.

Our neighborhood had about 10 people show up. Our point was that our neighborhood was being moved in 2011 and then again in 2015, which violates the board policy to not move the same group of children more frequently than every 5 years. I think he heard our point.

Next summer they will update the report and take the ideas to the committee for review and comments. They will then refine the redistricting which would be voted on next November. So we will have to wait until this time next year to determine if any changes have been made on the plan.

No comments: