Monday, September 14, 2009

My Mission

When my husband got this job opportunity in Maryland, we really spent a lot of time researching and thinking about the move. What we found out was that there was a particular county that we wanted to reside in because of the school system. The school system we would moved out of in NC had many issues. It was a win win, a great opportunity for my husband plus a great FREE public education for our children.

As we were looking for houses, the most important aspect was the school district. My husband would call me and I would do a quick search and tell him whether it was worth his time or not. We ended up in our neighborhood because of the school we wanted to attend, plus the fact that we are close to my husband's job.

Last year I heard rumblings of a possible redistricting plan. As fast as it came up....it went away. Well, it has reared its ugly head in a big way.

What it means for us. My boys will do 3rd grade at our school now, then move to a different school for 4th and 5th. They will then move to middle school for 6th and 7th but have to do their last year of middle school at a different school. So in a span of 6 years 4 different schools. After looking at the document a little more, it is 76 pages, I determined we are being moved because another school is overcrowded. These changes will be needed until a new school can be opened in 2013.

I sent out a note on Friday and was overwhelmed by the responses. There are a few of us who will meet to devise a game plan on how we will fight this plan. We will not sit by while they make these changes without considering what is best for the children.

This has been consuming my thoughts for the last 3 days. We will meet today. I can't wait to get started. There is a meeting set for tomorrow evening which one of the husbands will attend. This is a listen only meeting. Then on the 29 and 30 a meeting will be held for public comments. Our neighborhood will be represented by as many people as I can get together. We have a lot of work to do between now and then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Waow!!! My stress level just went up a couple of notches reading this !! Good luck !!
Ahlem