Monday, July 13, 2009

No more diapers

I finally did it. I have talked to Tee about saying goodbye to his diapers for the last month (except for nap and night time of course). I knew once I started there was no looking back. I believe in going straight to underwear while trying to train. I think it can be confusing when you start putting kids in pull-ups.

I have heard that you should wait until the child is ready. Well, I knew Tee was ready. He would tell me when he went pee (or poop) in his diaper.

Tee knew exactly what was going to happen and he was very excited about wearing underwear and being more like his older brothers.

I spent some time getting ready for this adventure. I purchased underwear with his favorite characters, Elmo, Thomas the train, Diego and Spiderman. I had a lot of underwear. I also purchased a few prizes and candy.

The start
I started Thursday after Tee woke up from his nap. He wore his underwear and insisted on wearing shorts as well. There were no accidents on Thursday but I would put him on the potty at regular intervals.

Day 1
Friday morning it became the real deal. He woke up and on came the underwear. He sat in his booster seat at breakfast and told me he pooped. Sure enough he pooped in his underwear. I had to say good bye to that underwear. I have something against cleaning underwear that has mushed gooey poo in it. He went on to have 2 other accidents on Friday morning. The rest of the day went well.

Day 2
I was still working with him and asking him if he had to go. He went poop on the potty and was very excited about it. He had a few accidents in the morning. His accidents are more of him peeing a little and then stopping himself and then telling me. To me this is a huge success. I always take him to the bathroom and he will finish his business.

Tee got a little mad at me on Saturday evening because he wanted a drink of water in which I got him a cup. He didn't want that cup and hit my hand almost spilling the water. As you can probably guess he didn't get any water that evening. Instead was told to go upstairs (we had been swimming and he had no clothes on) and get in the bath. Upstairs he peed on the carpet we feel on purpose.

Overall
I think he's got it. He will poop in the potty. He may wet his underwear a little before he figures out and tells me he has to pee but that is ok. He has also been waking up dry from his nap.

I remember how kids tend to regress on their progress. I am keeping my fingers crossed that he manages to not have that many accidents in the future. He has really been easy to train. I attribute most of this to him watching and wanting to be like his 7 year old brothers.

But just maybe this is my free pass since I had to train EE and Jay at the same time. I remember it NOT being easy in the least bit. It took Jay about 3 full days to get it and EE about 5 days. It was even longer to train them on number 2. EE would hide and go in his underwear. Jay ended up getting constipated and having to be on Miralax for a while. Oh the good times.

Who knew that I could get so excited talking about bodily functions!

No comments: