Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Mission: Preschool


I am on a mission to find a preschool for the fall for the baby. Most preschool start the registration process in January and February. So my research has to start now in order to be prepared by then. I have a link with a listing of all the preschools in my county. Easy enough right? Wrong!

I am not that picky (ok maybe I am picky) but I do have a few wants on my list of preschools. First, I need one that has a 2 year old program. Many of the programs here start at age 3. I would like a church program as I like what they have to offer. This is also what I am used to. The church that we have attended has a program and also starts at 2 years old. Why am I not going with this opportunity? The program is a one day a week program for 2 year olds. Why bother? The preschool programs typically only run for 2 1/2 hours. Three hours would be better and four would be heaven but I haven't seen any of these, unless you go with a Montessori type program which is so expensive. There are a few Co-op programs I have researched. A co-op is where you volunteer your time in one of many aspects of the program. For example, you could be in charge of straightening books once a week or keeping the grounds in shape etc. I am not sure I want to commit to the preschool program on-going. I have heard several great things about 2 or 3 of the programs but the drive would be anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes. When you are only talking about 2 1/2 hours you want to be able to minimize the drive time.

I have 5 places on my list that I will research a little more and maybe visit in January. There is a little part of me that would just rather keep him home. But I do know once he gets into a program he will love the interaction. I wish I had the business sense and the education schooling to open my own preschool.

No comments: