Sunday, April 3, 2011

A good night's sleep

It has been about two years now that Jay has been waking up in the middle of the night. Yes, every night he wakes up at some point, sometimes more than once. There are times when he falls back to sleep easily and other not so much.There is also no sleeping in for him. He is up by 6am just about every day.

When he would wake up, he would go use the bathroom. I thought he was waking up because he had to use the bathroom. So being as smart as I am, I made a deal with him. If he would NOT get up to use the bathroom, I would let him have the much wanted sleep over. It took him a while but he did it. What I found was that he was still waking up just not going to the bathroom.

I did finally let Jay have a sleep over with his friend. He enjoyed it a lot, but they were both up really early, like 5:30 early.

There are many times when Jay comes to wake me up because he is having a hard time going back to sleep. My answer is always the same, read a book for a little while until you get tired and can fall asleep. Many times I am still have asleep while talking with him.

Some days Jay just seems so tired and has the attitude to match. I think it is unfair that he can not get a good night's sleep every night. I spoke with his Dr. two years ago about his wakings, but again I thought it was more of a bathroom issue than anything else. She dismissed it. So when I went for this year's exam, I mentioned it again. I explained the situation and how long it has been going on.

Honestly, I don't ever remember waking up during the middle of the night. I was a fairly heavy sleeper and still am most nights (you know when I don't wake up in the middle of the night for no reason and then can't fall back to sleep.)

With a referral from his Dr. we decided to have another sleep study done on Jay. I am not really sure what it will tell us or what we will do about it but I just feel like we need to at least try to determine what is going on.

Friday evening, Dad and Jay packed up to go on their overnight. He was very anxious about the sleep study. They arrived after 8:30 and it took about 30 minutes to get him all wired up.
Looks comfortable?

Can you guess what this is a picture of?

Yep, this is where Dad got to sleep. Talk about comfortable.


Jay was up at 1am, 3am and at 5am for the day. Needless to say neither one of them got a good night's sleep.

His Dr. should have his results sometime this week. So I am hoping to be able to make an appointment to see what it says.

No comments: