Sunday, April 10, 2011

Trust your instincts

I finally remembered to call the Pediatrician on Friday to determine what I needed to do to get Jay's sleep study results. A message was taken and I had to wait for a return call.

The call came Friday evening around 8pm. She mentioned there were a few items of note. He has been diagnosed with Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD). The measurement should be less than 5 and he was at 50. Yes, I would say that would be cause for concern. His limb movement could very well be waking him up during the night. It was also noted that, at times, his breaths are not as heavy. This is not a huge concern as he remained at least at 95% oxygenation level. He has already had his adenoids removed so not sure anything could be done.

We have a meeting with the sleep Dr. in a few weeks to discuss the results in more detail. We hope that she will be able to provide us some direction on the PLMD. Of course, we have googled and read articles on this topic.

We do not like the idea of medicating but we may not have a choice. I imagine that this has been going on for years. I think he needs a good night's sleep. I assume that he has just adjusted to functioning even though he is tired.

I am a little upset with myself for not pushing for the sleep study earlier. I knew something didn't seem right. My husband said even after he had a consultation with the sleep Dr. he felt like maybe we were over exaggerating. All questions the sleep Dr. asked Jay were answered with "nos."

We had no idea what we would find out and if there would be anything we could even do about it. I have to tell you that I am glad we finally know what is going on and can start to solve this problem.

It makes me so sad thinking of this situation. I know he will be ok but......

Ingrained on my mind is to always trust my instinct and push and advocate for my kids.

No comments: