Monday, March 8, 2010

Liar.....Liar.....pants on fire

I have found myself explaining the difference between the truth and a lie to my 3 year old. What happens is that I will see him do something he is not supposed to be doing and tell him to stop what ever it is. Then he says “mommy I not doing anything”. Well, obviously he did do something or I would not have said anything to him. Oh, I hope one day it will sink in.

We read the Berenstain Bear’s book about the truth often. Believe it or not he picks it out. By the way, the Berenstain books are really good; they typically have a very good moral lesson. That Momma bear is so smart. I can relate to her. Ha!Ha!

Anyway, in the book about the truth, the young bears break Momma’s favorite lamp but blame it on a bird. The lying does not go so well and they confess. Tee thinks the point of the story is that they are not supposed to play soccer in the house (instead of lying to their parents). The bears do feel really bad and they help Momma fix the lamp.

When I think of lying, I think of kids lying to their parents, friends or teachers. But recently, I have determined that so many adults lie. Adult liars are not good ones. I think the brain is a little more fried and they forget what they tell you and it goes on to another lie.

At baseball, the last 2 Monday I have sat with the same Mom. On both Mondays, I heard the same story about the previous weekend. It was about her son having someone stay the night with him and then she finds out the child had lice or could have had lice. Ok, bad that I wasn’t really listening to the story and I did hear it 2 times. A few of the details changed, like the second time she didn’t mention having someone in to clean her carpets. Unfortunately, I tend not to believe much of what this Mom says. I have found her to be the type of person who always needs to be praised for how much she does. I think she tells half truths.

The other story that blows my mind is about our neighbors. I heard from the wife that her husband wants to go somewhere over spring break. She went on to tell me everywhere he suggested and how she doesn’t want to go there for one reason or another. We spoke to her husband this weekend and he said he was looking for somewhere to go because his wife thought they needed to go somewhere. He would prefer to just stay home during the break. What?

These are just 2 examples. I have witnessed many others.

Does anyone tell the truth any more? What is it with people? Is it more fun to make up stuff than tell the truth? Does it help them to make someone else look bad? Or is it just blabber to fill the conversation?

I am going to give this more thought. I hope I am not telling lies. Hmm……

No comments: