Sunday, May 17, 2009

My jaw dropped to the ground

I would love to blow up a big bubble for all three of my kids. Well, I guess they could each have their own bubble. Have you seen the commercial with the lady at the park and she has her baby in a bubble because she doesn't want him to get dirty? Something like that. Wouldn't it be great. They would be protected from all outside influences. As much as I would love to protect them with all my might I know we must be real. So our approach is to be as open as we can (varying by age) and help them understand the ugly realities of life and the "uncomfortable" facts of life subjects.


I think being open is a necessity. I have one child (Jay) who tends to believe what ever his friends say and is so easily influenced by them. We will need to be the ones who broaches these subjects with him first. Ee tends to be a little more oblivious to what people say and do.


The boys and I have had several conversations about bad words, what they mean and why we don't use them. They know a** and b**ch. I don't think I was prepared for what happened on Saturday morning. We woke up early and got up and out of the house early. We had to drop my car off for service then it was off to baseball pictures before their game. We were sitting at Chickfila eating breakfast. Since Dad had been gone I was filling him in on some of the conversations the kids and I have had. The subject of bad words came up. Jay piped up and said I know that F**k (he spelled the work instead of saying it) is a bad word. I was trying not to show the "oh my God you did not just say that" look but know I failed miserably. The husband and I looked at each other and then we started asking questions. Apparently, it is written on the back of a seat on the bus. The girl he was sitting with one day told him it was a bad word. We had a very firm discussion that the word should never be used and that he is not to repeat to anyone else. He seemed to understand.

The boys and I have had several conversations about when to call the police and the fire department. They couldn't understand why you would call the same number for both police and fire. I had to give them a few scenarios on when it would be important for them to call. We also talked about guns and if they ever came in contact with one they were to never touch it and to leave the area immediately. I think they understand that a gun can go off even accidentally.

I think tomorrow I will start looking into all boys private schools....or better yet maybe boarding school.

No comments: