Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Dentistry

The dentistry field has certain advanced from my times (oh, why do I always age myself like that). My memories of the dentist are unfortunately not good ones. Like the time I had to go in and get 7 cavities filled. Too many for one day so I had to go in 2 times. My Mom said it was because I ate too much candy, but gosh did my teeth ever get brushed. I guess I was the last of 5 kids..... I have had more work done in my mouth and I can honestly say it is the one thing I dislike the most.

I have been taking the boys to the dentist every 6 months since they were 18 months old. I am determined to instill good oral hygiene. They must brush 2 times a day (one of those times we assist) and floss once a day. Unfortunately, Orthodontics is my future with all 3 kids.


The boys had a cleaning on Monday.

I need to take Jay for a consult with the Orthodontist. His upper teeth are shaped more like a V instead of a U and they are inside (instead of outside) the lower jaw. The dentist said a lot of work can be done now in preparation for braces in the future. He was talking about an expander for the upper teeth to get it shaped more into a U. And a possibility of other contraptions in his mouth. Then when he gets all his adult teeth they will be ready to move.

EE may have to have a tooth extracted in the next month or so. An x-ray showed that a permanent tooth is on the way up and the baby tooth is not that loose yet. If the baby tooth doesn't fall out (or get pulled) it may lead to the permanent tooth coming in somewhere other than the designated spot. Believe it or not this happened to my husband. I guess the technology was not as great as it is now so his tooth had to be pulled into place.

Tee was such a big boy. He sat in a chair by himself and let the hygienist clean his teeth. She was really great with him. He really enjoyed getting the water sprayed into his mouth. He was so happy to be able to pick out his 2 prizes from the drawer and walk out with his bag just like his brothers.

No comments: