Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Unbelievable

Early on I decided I would volunteer my time in the school.  I got involved in the PTA when my boys were in first grade.  We moved here soon after they started Kindergarten and I needed a little time to settle in. 

I have held a role on the PTA since then in many capacities.  I have done special events, fundraising, membership and currently holding the role of secretary. Sometimes I have done 2 roles at once.  As is typical, it is difficult to find volunteers and it is usually the same people every year. 

The president is was serving a 3rd year because no one wanted to take on the role.  The President just happens to be my neighbor and good friend.

What many people don't understand is that you should join the PTA every year and that does not mean that you have to volunteer your time.  Our school seems to have minimal members.  Why?  I haven't figured it out.  The PTA does so many nice things for our kids and teachers, from assemblies (4 a year) to special events to  teacher appreciation events to so many other.  It sounds like a great thing, right?

Well, what has transpired the last couple of weeks has made me re-think my role in this organization.  I will never be able to explain in detail, that would take too much time but hopefully enough to understand.

The principal of our school has decided to no longer have a Halloween parade at school.  The parade consisted of kids having to change into costume in order to parade outside where parents are waiting and watching.  Then they have to go back inside to get out of their costume. Typically each class has a celebration with a sweet treat and games.  The only item getting axed is the parade.  There are many who do not celebrate Halloween and a teacher must be responsible for them while others are parading around. It is time.  The communication was done in the weekly newsletter that only gets posted on-line.

A local on-line news source got wind of the demise of the parade and posted a story.  As you can imagine the comments that were left were not very nice.  One comment was encouraging people to get to the PTA meeting so that this could be discussed.  On the advice given by the county PTA, our president posted that the parade was not on the agenda, however, the principal would stay after to discuss with those interested.  The PTA meeting was adjourned and no word was brought up about the parade.  The Principal and VP stayed around and no one said a thing.

Well, the next day comments went crazy blaming the PTA president for everything.  The personal attacks on both the President and Principal were unbelievable.  It said that the President did not have the best interest of the kids and that the principal was lazy. And no one liked either one.

In response to the cancellation of the parade, the PTA changed from a Hawaiian party to a dance and come in costume party.

Another article was printed about other schools in the area and how they were going to continue their tradition of parading.  And once again people started commenting.   Each and every comment really just made me get angrier.  The PTA does so much for the children in the school and the president has dedicated so much of her time for everyone else's kids. 

During this time, the president decided she needed to resign.  She was done with the personal attacks.  At a certain point everything you do will be scrutinized and who can live with that.

And if that was not enough, a third article was posted yesterday.  It was a letter that was written from the president of the PTA council, over a week ago.  The letter was not posted in its entirety.  Once again, the comments started to trickle in. 

I have to say, I just don't understand why everyone has their panties in a wod over a silly parade.  If you want to fight for something, fight for a way to better the education of our kids, fight for a better spelling program.  If you want your child to parade do something at home for them.

I think about how incredibly silly this issue has been and how much of my time I have spent discussing it.  I have spent time reading comments and listening to the PTA president.  I have started to think maybe it is time to do something else with my time.  This bothers me because the PTA does so much  for the children and that is the only reason I have stayed on at this point.  But maybe it is time to do something else that will be appreciated. 

No comments: