Monday, October 3, 2011

I know....civic duty

I was originally summoned for Jury duty in August during the time we would be on vacation.  As the directions stated, I immediately sent a letter stating that I would be out of town and need to be reassigned.  What I wasn't expecting is a letter a few weeks later giving me another week.  That week just happens to be this week. 

As I mentioned, I called on Friday and my group number 42 was not called.  Groups 1-19 were to report.  My thought was that Tuesday groups would probably be 20-39.  That would make sense to me.

I called today around 4:30 to listen to the message for today.  The guy on the system started with the group numbers to report.  Group number 20, 21......then he got to 39 but kept going and then 40, 41 and you guessed it 42.  All groups are to report at 8:30.

After my 5 minutes of panic, I had to start thinking about what to do with my kids.  The two older ones are not the problem, it of course, is Tee who has preschool for just 3 1/2 hours.  I ended up getting it all taken care of.  It is times like this when I wished we lived closer to family.

I am fortunate that the courthouse is close by and parking will not be a problem.  I do dread the fact that the majority of what I will be doing is just sitting and waiting.  I have a stack of magazines and some other things to do while I am doing my civic duty.  I am just glad that this civic duty will go away for at least 3 years.  Stayed tuned as I am sure I will have some good stories.

No comments: