Monday, February 14, 2011

Why I dislike Valentine's day

My husband asked me yesterday why I had such a dislike for this day, today, Valentine's day. I am not sure when it happened but it definitely did.

Why do we need one day set aside for love. Love should be celebrated everyday. In my opinion, it is a hallmark holiday in order for you to spend money on cards, flowers and candy.

Maybe I am frugal or better yet practical!

I despise all of the cards and candy the kids get on this day at school. This morning I was in Tee's preschool class for his party. It was utter chaos. The kids could not read the names on their cards so they needed help. After passing out 3 or 4 Tee was done. Well, he was probably done because he saw a cupcake and cookie waiting for him at his seat. I ended up having to finish for him. Every card he received had some sort of candy with it. There was even laffy taffy included in his candy. Who lets their 3 year old eat sticky candy like that. He received at least 2 bags that were full of candy.

The older boys had parties at their school this afternoon. Tee and I volunteered in Jay's class. They both received so much candy with their cards also.

So now I have 3 decorated brown bags of V-day cards and candy sitting on my counter. They will be emptied many times in the next few day and I will be the one putting everything back in the bag. My hope is that in the next few days the bags and candy will disappear.

I did try to make this morning a little special for the boys. I bought them each a little Lego set. They found them when they got downstairs for breakfast with a little note on them.

I was surprised by the boys who purchased a really LARGE card to give to me this morning. It was very sweet. I feel very loved by all of the boys in my house.

I hope all the boys in my house, especially the big one, know how much I love them........today and everyday.

No comments: