Saturday, February 19, 2011

Enough Already!

I guess as a result of the kids being fairly healthy the majority of the winter, February has proven to be our month. Maybe it was because I opened my big mouth and said that the boys had not been sick this winter. It always seems to happen that way.

The boys all started out with sore throats and a little fever. It started with Tee and ended with E. It was a 24 hour bug. The next week I find out the Tee has strep. I immediately got E tested because he a red throat and he tested positive. Jay had been suffering from congestion and was having a hard time sleeping. So we took him to the minute clinic. I thought he could possibly have a sinus infection. But his strep test came back positive as well. Yes, now all three boys were on antibiotics. And we were able to get some additional medicines to help clear up Jay.

I had been suffering from really bad headaches from last Sunday. I knew I was the one with a sinus infection. I am not sure why I wait so long to get some relief. I ended up going to the clinic on Wednesday and it was very clear that a sinus infection was what I had. So another one of us on an antibiotic.

On Wednesday evening, as E was getting ready for the shower he called me in to look at his stomach. He had a rash all over his torso and was spreading to his hands, legs and face. I immediately called the Dr's. office. I spoke to the Dr. on phones that evening. She said I needed to bring him in the next day for evaluation.

More concerning was that we were getting ready to leave for a ski trip the next day. Luckily, I ended up getting a morning appointment. The nurse practitioner was certain that it was a reaction to the antibiotic but not really an allergy. An allergy would more than likely happen soon after the medication began. I was concerned that he had a strep rash, but I did look it up on the trusty Internet and realized it would look much different.

It seems like many of the kids at school were also sick. Not only has strep been going around but it appears as a stomach but has been going around also. I am glad that the boys have a few days off from school, maybe a little airing out will help.

Thank goodness the boys are all recovering and so am I although a little slower than normal. I am ready for spring!

No comments: