Saturday, February 19, 2011

Rebound

Basketball season is coming to an end and I am an very excited. Don't get me wrong I love love love to watch basketball. I especially love to watch my boys play. But I have not been very happy with our organization.


The boys play on a 7/8 league which means they are the older ones in the group. The teams are formed by draft. The coaches pick numbers and pick in order. We had a friend who had first draft and wanted to pick my boys. Lucky for us, the boys come as a pair. What we didn't realize was the league coordinator actually had first pick. She is someone we knew and she had coached the boys before.


I was disappointed they did not get on our friend's team but it was ok. The main coach on our team was one of the boys' dad and the coordinator was the assistant.


I took the boys to their first practice and wasn't sure what the team would be like. E and Jay were the tallest and oldest players on the team.


As the season progressed, I was unhappy with the coach. He spent so much time talking to the kids and not enough time running them through drills. In fact, I don't think he ran them through the correct drills the entire season. I bet you didn't know I was an expert in coaching basketball. Well, I am not but I have seen enough practices especially of teams practicing next to ours.


If you don't know me I am a planner. I like to have everything planned out and in my calendar. We would only get a practice and game schedule for a month at a time. This is extremely aggravating for me. I had several things to schedule in February.


I decided I was done waiting so I decided to move forward with my plans. I ended up scheduling a ski trip for us during President's day weekend. Shortly after I get a schedule that shows our league tournament was being held the same weekend. I was a bit upset but felt like they would just have to deal. E and Jay are 2 of the team's really good players. And did I mention that they are tall and are the ones typically blocking and rebounding.

The couch seemed a little upset that the boys would not be at the game. But this was obviously not our problem. The team lost and our consolation game will be held on Thursday. The boys also got picked to play on the all star team and will play on Saturday also. Interesting thing is they will be on different all star teams and play against each other.

I look forward to the last few games. But I will look into a different organization for next year.

No comments: