Sunday, October 25, 2009

There always has to be a first

We are always so diligent about capturing kid's first. There is the first smile and walking for the first time and the many other milestones we wait for. Each of my boys has a calendar documenting when their "firsts" took place. But between you and I sometimes I had to make a guesstimates. When I had the twins it was overwhelming to document everything and then when I had Tee I had so much else to do.

As with all things, there always has to be that first visit to the ER. We remember Jay's first trip. He was about 3 jumping on the sofa and hit the edge of the coffee table on his eye. I looked at it and immediately knew it was going to need stitches. I have to say I am the calm one in the family. My husband tends to get worked up to the point that I have to knock him down a bit. He will deny this but it is true. EE's first trip was when he was having pain in his stomach and had to be hospitalized. That was a little over 2 years ago right before we moved to Md.

Tee was certianly not wanting to be left out. We have had a really busy weekend. I will write more about that later. I tried to put him down for a nap today but he was not interested. I let him out of his room after an hour. He was playing in the sunroom while I was getting dinner ready. I was in the process of making chilli.

He showed me a magnet from his easel. I asked him to put the magnet away and turned around to finish browning my meat. The next thing I know I hear Tee cough and then call my name. I asked him where the piece went and he pointed to his mouth. I asked him if he swallowed the piece and he said yes. I looked around and I did not see it anywhere.

My husband got home from dropping the boys off at a birthday party and we were off to the ER. I cringed when I walked in the doors. So many people in there sick and wearing masks. They whisked us off to the Pediatric area which was good. There were not too many people in that area. But then a little boy came in and he did not look well. We waited about an hour or so to get our x-ray. After waiting here and there for a little bit we were taken back to a room.

The magnet had made it down to his stomach. It had made it through the most dangerous areas. The Dr. was sure it would work its way out within the next day or so. We had Tee drink some juice and eat some cookies to make sure he could hold food down. If he had any issues it would indicate that the object did some damage to his esophogus. He didn't and we were discharged.

Our time there was a little over 2 1/2 hours. Not that bad in my eyes. As for dinner, chilli will be made tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor baby! Just try to keep him away from things made out of metal for a few days, And poor parents too :)
Ahlem