Monday, March 14, 2011

Ouch!

There are some things that you just wish you could make go away for your children. But you know that you need to move forward and take care of it to ensure there are no future issues.

A few months ago, we were at the orthodontics place when the Dr. was baffled as to why Jay's front teeth had separated. So instead of making a mold for a retainer, he sent us to an oral surgeon. Apparently, his Frenulum on the upper lip was too tight. Leaving this as is would mean that it would wedge between his two front teeth leaving a gap. I asked the Dr. to look under his tongue and he felt he was tongue tied.

The oral surgeon agreed with the ortho. He also said if we did not take care of under the tongue, it would eventually start pulling at his gums, thus causing receding. So we decided he needed to have a frenectomy on upper and under the tongue.

Surgery day was this morning. What was interesting, Jay had a classmate and friend who also had to have oral surgery and was done right before Jay's.

I got Jay there at 7:30 but they didn't call him back until closer to 8. This was nice as Dad was able to join us before they knocked Jay out. We were able to stay in the room as they gave Jay laughing gas and then started his IV. Once they got it in we left so they could finish putting him under to start the procedure.

It seemed to go quickly. They called us back to recovery. Jay was definitely groggy. We talked about his friend being there. It was Dad's little joke with him. Every few minutes, he would say, Jay did we tell you we saw your friend. And Jay would go no.

We left and I stopped to get him a shake. I got him home and set him up on the couch. He got very emotional. He started crying because it hurt. He wanted his Daddy. Yes, he is definitely a Daddy's boy(Dad stopped by before going to work). I was finally able to calm him down enough to get him to let me put some shake in his mouth so that he could swallow it. Once he was able to get some food in his stomach I was able to give him pain med.

He spent the day on the couch watching tv. I tried to keep him on his pain med. for the majority of the day. One of his friend's came over this afternoon and they built one of his Lego sets. I think that was a nice distraction.

Dad made him an omelet for dinner which he had a hard time eating but eventually ate it all. I am hoping he is able to sleep through the night with no pain. I can't say I was the very best with keeping him iced down. Although he did have a few popsicles and some other cold foods.

It is really hard to see your child in pain. We know it was the right decision but it is heartbreaking.

One of my friends took Tee home from preschool with her daughter. I actually didn't see him until she brought him home at 5pm. I missed him.

We will see how he sleeps tonight and how he is in the morning.

No comments: