Wednesday, November 17, 2010

What would you do?

I found out recently that one of my gym instructor's (I will call her Jill) husband was convicted of embezzling money from his company. I googled his name and found out the specifics of the charges and noticed he had been sentenced to 1 year in prison. I wondered where he had gone as he used to do the class many Mondays.

I know someone who is an acquaintance of Jill's and Jill almost broke down to her today. She didn't give her specifics but more about what is happening today. Apparently, he had a terrible gambling problem. She had no idea and I assume he was in trouble which is why he stole the money. He is now in town and is at a half way house. My guess is that he got his prison time reduced for time in the half way house. He has a job waiting for him once he is freed, which is surprising to me.

I feel bad for Jill, she is such a nice person. She has two young children and it seems like it all is wearing them down.

I told my husband about the situation. Jill seems to be standing by her man. I told him that I don't know that I could do the same. I think I would resent him terribly for turning our world upside down for a very stupid act. Everything would change. I would have to go back to work to support the family and our living status would change drastically.

My husband called me shallow. He could not believe I would not stand by him. He asked me if I would leave him if he cheated and my answer was probably. He could not understand why I would definitely leave if he stole but would "probably" leave if he cheated.

He couldn't leave it at that. What if he made a mistake at work, got fired and caused him to be unmarketable. I don't think they are comparable.

The answer is very simple, just don't mess up!

No comments: