Saturday, October 30, 2010

He decided it was time

Our twins are different in so many ways. This was evident from the time they were born. And they remain very different. Of course, we love them and their differences.

The boys have always had different sleep patterns from very early on. E had no problems where as Jay had issues going to sleep and staying asleep. These have remained the same even now.

Why am I talking about sleep habits? Well, once Jay was potty trained he immediately was able to make it through the night dry. E not so much.

I brought the issue up every year with his Dr. and I got the same answer every time. He is a hard sleeper, his bladder had not matured yet and it would happen eventually. This is very common.

I didn't like this answer because I wanted him to be dry. E didn't care much about having to wear a pull-up to bed. So about a year ago I purchased a bed wetting alarm. I read the book and we went through the exercises. We tried the alarm for maybe 4 or 5 nights. Each night I had to get up to this really loud annoying alarm to make a bed. He gave it up, I didn't push and that was that.

This past July, E asked me if he could try the alarm again or as he called it that thing in which I had to ask many questions to find out what he was talking about. So I got the alarm out, purchased new batteries and he tried it again.

The first night the alarm went off and we got up to change the sheets and pajamas. The following night he was ready to give it up. He was tired. We encouraged him to give it another try. One night was not a try. The next nights were better. The alarm would wake him up in time for him to make it to the bathroom. No more sheets being changed and many nights I did not hear him. He was able to do it all on his own. It happened very quickly. Yes, now and then we may have an accident but that is ok.

I am very proud of him. He set out to do this and he did it own. It happened just like they said it would, when he was ready. And I am saving the alarm for Tee who shows absolutely no desire to be dry at night.

Now my excuse of no sleepovers (because of pull-up wearing) is no longer valid. I better think of something good quick.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!! SO proud of him!!!
Amy