Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Instinct

Many people have told me that Tee is every one's friend.  The Moms tell me the girls in his preschool class all talk about him.  In May I had a conference with the preschool teachers, they mentioned that he gets along with everyone.  They also said that everyone fights to sit next to him.  As a parent, that makes me feel really good.

I did probe a little more into the kids fighting to sit next to him.  Tee said that he wanted to sit next to two certain friends but a boy named C wanted to sit next to him all the time.  This was very frustrating to him.  This boy was also on his T-ball team and he never had any interaction with him.  This is just not like Tee. 

The boy's Mom emailed me last week to see if Tee could come over for a play date.  I have not asked him yet but I know his answer will be NO.  I just don't know what to say.

I mentioned this to one of my friends who has older children.  She told me to trust his instincts.  You can't and should not force friendships.  She did this with her daughter when she was young and then found out that the other girl was not very nice.

I don't want to ignore the email although I have so far.  I also don't want to say that my child wants nothing to do with hers.  We have been very busy as of late but we obviously won't be busy all summer.  I was thinking that I would have them come here for a little swimming so I can see the interaction.  I need to figure this out quickly because I really need to say something soon.

No comments: