Sunday, January 23, 2011

Decisions Decisions....

I remember being so happy last year after I made the decision to have Tee go to our church preschool. I had visions that it would be very similar to the preschool experience that his brothers had. It was a warm environment with such wonderful teachers.

I really had great hopes for the preschool and the beginning seemed to go really well. The lead teacher seemed very organized with great ideas. She seemed to do ok with the kids.

There was one instance where she did talk with me regarding Tee. She apparently had to get a little firm with him, which I think she raised her voice and he started to cry. He is a very sensitive child and does not typically need a raised voice. But she said they hugged it out.

I started wondering about the preschool sometime before Christmas. The lead teacher seemed like a downer all the time. The kids are allowed to enter the room around 9:05 and many times she was not in the room yet. I understand her start time is later, not sure why. Many times us parents will pass her as we are leaving and she is walking as slow as molasses with no pep in her step. She is with kids all morning....I think she should be full of energy.

The lead teacher is very attractive and dresses to the nines to teach preschool. As much as I don't like to think this, it does give the impression that she is not on the floor with the kids or interacting with them as they do art projects.

Oh wait, I don't know that they do many art projects. Last year, Tee brought home an art project just about every day. They also had projects hanging around the room. So yes, this is a big problem for me. One main reason I send him to preschool is for him to be exposed to different types of projects. Facts are that we don't have much time to do them at home. I feel like tuition is high enough to cover the cost of art projects.

I had considered leaving the preschool and trying to get him into another preschool. I know several families that are not returning. One of my friends went back and forth on what to do. She eventually decided to go to another preschool and ended up getting a teacher with a good reputation.

After a lot of thought I decided that I was going to stay and try to institute change. I just felt like I could not leave for a few reasons. Tee would not have been at the same preschool for more than one year. I did not want the stress of having to decide what preschool he would go to. In the end, I decided that he is safe, has fun and is learning all at the same time.

So before my friend decided she was leaving, she had a talk with the director. The director is in place until a new director is named at some point in the future. The original director got fired, which was a good thing for the preschool. So she discussed her concerns with her, basically everything I have mentioned above.

Apparently the director spoke with the teacher and repeated verbatim what this mom said. How do I know? The teacher has approached some parents and asked them if they spoke to the director. How wrong is this? Now the Mom thinks she knows it was here as she had a situation on Friday where the teacher did not look at the Mom or at the child.

What is really bad is I had another friend ask me about the preschool today. I honestly had a hard time answering her question. So as I struggled for what to say, she said that is what I keep getting from people. So the reputation has started that it is not a good program.

Fortunatly, I know the president of the board. I do plan on having an off the record conversation with her because if anyone can institute change she can. Although she did hire the first director.

Lots has been going on......will update more tomorrow.

No comments: