Sunday, July 25, 2010

I got nothing done

I expected this weekend to be one in which I catch-up on housework and laundry. I did a lot of things.....but no housecleaning.

On Thursday, I got a call from a very good friend of mine with some bad news. Her younger brother, who lives in Maryland not far from me, was in the hospital. He had suffered an aortic dissection. I googled this and it is not a good thing. If you don't get immediate help you die. Luckily, a friend was on the phone with him when he told him he did not feel well and to call an ambulance. They say the pain is like someone is stabbing you. He had severe damage and it took a long time to repair. As of today, he has not responded to any commands. It is a waiting game to see what happens. If he makes it through this, they feel recovery will be long and slow. The family needs a lot of prayers.

My friend lost her brother in 1995 as a result of a similar condition. His case was detected prior to a dissection. There were many complications and he ended up having a brain anuerysm less than a year out of surgery. I dated her brother back when all of this happened and she and I become good friends.

My friend lives in Connecticut. She is staying here until with her Mom....... She has a daughter that is the boys' age. Her husband drove in this weekend with their daughter. I went and picked her up to spend some time with us, swimming and playing. There really is not much for her to do at the hospital. The boys had a great time with her. Definitely different to have a girl in the house.
She spent the night with us last night so they had a lot of time to play. We swam a lot! I think she will be very tired for her drive home this evening.
The kids.
The kids with silly faces.
I am so glad that I was able to spend some time with her. She is sweet even though she is a bit bossy. I hope to be able to spend more time with her in the future.

No comments: