Monday, June 27, 2011

They did it!

That is right, NUMBER 1.

The boys' baseball team improved greatly this year.  There was some inconsistency throughout the season.  Sometimes they were on and other times we weren't sure what they were doing.  But as the year continued they did start to put it all together.  

A few weekends ago the regular season ended with a league tournament.  The boys ended up losing 2 games on Saturday so they did not move onto the finals.  It was definitely disappointing. 

The team entered a tournament this past weekend about 1 hour from our home.  This is the absolute last game for them until next spring.  The boys played 2 games on Saturday and lost both.  They were seeded number 7 out of 8 teams. 

I was totally surprised when the husband called me Sunday morning to tell me the boys won. So Tee and I packed up and drove to see the next game.  We were ecstatic when they won that game and moved on to the championship game.  I thought at one point my husband was going to faint.  Oh yeah, my husband was head coach on Sunday.  The regular head coach was not able to make the tournament. 

The 3rd game of the day was played right after the 2nd.  The boys were totally pumped up for the game.  I am sure I will get the stat wrong, but we were losing up though the 5th inning.  The boys put it together and ended up scoring several runs.....more than the other team.  In the bottom of the 6th inning, it was just a matter of getting 3 outs quickly for them to not score.  We ended up winning 10-4.  I can not describe the excitement of the boys.  This was such an awesome way for them to end the season.

Now for the drama, you know there has to be some.  The team has 13 players.  That means each inning 4 kids sit out.  13 is a lot of kids to have on a team, but if we are out that takes 2 players from the team.  Detailed stats are kept, believe me they are detailed.  One of the items tracked is how many times you are sitting on the bench.  There are some kids, mine included that have sat out the most. 

At the game on Saturday, one of the parents got really upset that their child was sitting on the bench too  much.  They thought he sat out a lot although in reality he had not.  The Mom came over during the 2nd game on Saturday and told her child they were leaving.  The coaches tried to calm her down and it ended up that she stormed away and left but her child remained with his Dad. 

The coach approached the Dad to find out what the issue was and he let in on the coach.  No one was sure where this all came from.  So the coach reviewed the file with the detailed info. and it turns out that this child has sat out the least.  The coach did contact the parents that evening and the conversation did not go well.  They ended up quitting prior to the game on Sunday.  I find the situation incredibly sad.  What are they teaching that child about being on a team.  I do have to tell you that it was nice to have the big win without him.

The Dad did eventually send a note apologizing but I think it was too late.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the win. That is awesome !! I am so impressed. My favorite sentence is: "I thought at one point my husband was going to faint." :)
It is too bad about the additional drama. Many times the parents ruin it for the kids :(. Ahlem

Trish said...

Thanks.....yes it was very funny to see him so stressed/excited. By the third game I am sure he was thinking wow, we could do this. It is very hard being head coach. So many people question who you are putting where etc.