Thursday, September 9, 2010

All beaches are created equal

I don't think so but all have sand, water and waves. What else do you need?

I LOVED going to the beach as an older teen/young adult. Love is actually an understatement. I didn't know many people who would go to the beach in between college classes. Of course, my college was near the beach. So I spent a lot of time at the beach. Then reality hit and I was a working adult so beach time was restricted to the weekends.

There is something about the beach that is so relaxing. I still love sitting on the beach listening to the breaking waves and running the sand through my toes. I would love to be able to sleep on the beach but it is not relaxing with 3 young boys running around. But the beach is very therapeutic for me.

A move from Florida to North Carolina really dampened the beach time. I was living about 3 plus hours from the coast. We would schedule summer beach vacations, which is how we found Hilton Head.

Really I was (and am) ok without going to the beach so often. My skin is thanking me now because I know I have done a lot of damage but that is another story. The only time I miss the beach is when I am at the beach.

We have lived in Maryland for almost 3 years and have not been to the shore. We have many neighbors who own places at the beach and spend a lot of time here. It was time for this to change.

We bid and won a weekend stay at a town home on Fenwick Island, Delaware from the school auction. The place belongs to one of our neighbors. Since the boys are off once again today, we decided to pull them from school on Friday and take a long weekend at the beach. We arrived late last night. The drive was about 2 1/2 hours and we had to stop to get something to eat.

The weather is beautiful. A little chilly this morning. The morning was spent at the very quiet deserted beach. The beach is a little different. For example, there is not much of a sandy area on the beach. There were so many shells on the beach. I haven't seen such large non broken shells in a long time.

We sat in our chairs swatting at the biting flies that kept landing on us watching the boys play in the sand. Where did the flies come from and why are they on the beach? We saw dolphins out swimming. We played ladder golf, which is a fun outdoor game. I was able to actually read a little bit of a magazine. No swimming for us as the water temperature is a bit too cold for us. We had a great morning.

I am looking forward to enjoying time at the beach. And although this beach is a little different than what I have been to it will work out just fine.

No comments: