Sunday, November 20, 2011

I love having twins.  I really do.  But sometimes it is hard to make sure everything is fair.  What I do for one I like to be able to do for the other.  Sometimes it is just not possible.

I volunteered to go on the field trip with the 4th grade class.  I thought about requesting both of my boys but in the end I didn't.  Jay was able to pick who he would have in his group.  E had not heard who's group he would be in. 

I had 5 boys in Jay's class.  One of my friends was also chaperoning and she had 5 boys.  We decided in the very beginning that we were making our boys all stick together. 

The boys were well behaved on the bus ride over.  We were running a little late.  As soon as we got to the science center, we were shuffled to the planetarium.  I saw E and was able to sit next to him.  He unfotunately was not with ONE of his friends.  It made me a little upset.

I asked E if he wanted to hang with my group and after waffling a bit (yes he is not such a good decision maker) he said yes.  Jay's teacher was sitting next to me and I asked her if it would be ok.  She hesitated a bit but eventually said yes.  This teacher also has twins who are just 1 years old.  I told her that she would see that it is not always easy. 

E was very quiet the entire time.  We didn't have much time to roam.  We had to eat early and then head to the 3D show.  Once we left the 3D show, E decided to head back to his group.  The field trip was ok.  We did have several people that we had to watch closely because they kept wandering.

When the boys got home from school, E was very quiet.  I didn't really think anything of it.  He acted strangely at basketball practice.  The husband and I discussed his behavior and decided I would speak to him before bed.

I spoke with him and finally got him to admit something was bothering him.  It took a while.  His brother was at a sleepover/birthday party.  I thought he was upset at that.  He ended up telling us that his feelings got hurt when he went up to the boys in Jay's groups and they told him they didn't want him in their group.  I had heard a little bit of teasing going on but they were just joking with him.  I tried to explain that to him but I am not sure he agreed.

I felt guilty because I feel like I pushed him into staying with us.  Next time I will ensure that I have both boys in my group.

Speaking of Jay's sleepover, that did not go very well for the parents. 

I dropped Jay off and the Mom mentioned that her son got in trouble because she found out that her son was stealing matches and starting (or trying) fires in the woods.  It took a lot for me to not walk back in the house and take Jay home.

The Mom called the Fire Marshall and has enrolled her son in a fire safety class.  Good punishment!

I picked up Jay a little early on Saturday because we had a busy day planned.  The Mom looked at me and said that she felt Jay was really trying to do the right thing but the kids were awful.  They had not slept at all.  They were so loud (they slept in the basement) that she was down there at 2 am and at 5 am.  She could not get them to calm down and sleep.

Jay mentioned that he was trying to sleep on the sofa but someone got a glass of water and poured it on his head.  He was really trying to sleep and the other boys were goofing off.  I do believe him because he needs his sleep and is not used to staying up that late. 

Sunday is when we had a discussion about when you should talk to your parents if your friends are doing something that you know is wrong. 

Fun times!

No comments: