Monday, August 22, 2011

First Stop


The alarm went off really early on Wednesday morning.  We got up and were on our way a after 5 am.  The boys did really well in the car.  Tee kept us laughing in the car.  It was only a short time before he was asking if we were almost there. 

We decided that instead of trying to make it all the way to Florida we would stop in Savannah.  We would stay the night and tool around a little.  I really like Savannah, it is such an old town with lots of history.  I have been there a few times a very long time ago.

On the 9 hour journey, a thought popped into my head.  I really love the Food Network channel.  How fun would it be if we could eat at Paula Dean's restaurant, Lady and Sons.  With my handy dandy droid I started researching.  I looked over the menu  and then saw that reservations are made each morning at 9:30.  So you wait in line at 9:30 and then are given a reservation time.  They do have a buffet available for people who don't have reservations.


After we checked into our hotel, we took a bus down to the River area and walked around a bit.  It definitely is the party area as there are many bars along the river. 

We then made our way to find Paula's restaurant.  We finally found it and saw the hostess to see if by chance we could make it in.  She looked at us and said she couldn't seat 5 together.  We could split up and both my husband and I were thinking, sounds good the kids can sit on their own.  But that didn't fly with the hostess.  I was TOTALLY BUMMED.  Maybe I need to plan ahead and send Paula a note prior to our next vacation down south.  

On Thursday, we took the boys to the Savannah Railroad Museum, which lucky for us was right behind our hotel.  Yes, sure it is vacation but who says you can't learn a little on vacation.  We took a self guided tour but we also had a guided tour of the Executive cars.  Usually the President of the Railroad was the one who would ride in this car.  They have restored them.  We learned some interesting facts:  ice was put in the bottom of the train and that is how the car was cooled 





The boys also were able to work the hand car (we are unsure what the name is).  Tee and I got to ride along but I could tell that it was much harder than I thought it would be.  The guide had to help the boys.  The men who worked these back in the day sometimes had to go 50 miles a day. 

After the nice morning, we tredge on in our road trip of 2011.

No comments: